Friday, March 16, 2012

My Dream House


There is a possibility this summer that we will be able to finally go house hunting. So, of course, my nose is always searching through the real estate websites...clicking, saving...admiring. I check out and save the 'realistic' homes so, when the time comes, I can look back on these homes and check them out for real! Buuuuut, I also like to look at my 'dream' homes, save those for IF the time ever comes that we...hey, win the lottery or something. ;)

These 'dream' homes of mine aren't what you would really consider a dream home to be. For many people a dream home would be a mansion with white, marble pillars, a huge chef's kitchen with stoneware straight from the old, abandoned villas in Tuscany, a large, ornate fountain in the front, and an amazing expanse of yard, complete with an outdoor fireplace and cozy, furnished gazebo...perfect for entertaining. And let's not forget the Jane Austen-style sun-room where I would teach my daughters how to have proper tea. Sure that would be glorious! But let's be realistic here! I have young kids!

The dream homes I save aren't what you would consider mansions and they aren't particularly impressive on the outside. They just look like regular homes. But they are in ideal locations and sit on a shy 2 acres. They have 5 or 6 bedrooms, maybe two kitchens, a huge rec room, spacious kitchen (with an island, hopefully), a large expanse of deck (yes for entertaining family)...all tucked away amongst trees but with a large, vast yard (for the kids to run and run and run). Another important factor: the house is nowhere...near...another...house. That is my idea of a dream home. And really these homes in particular aren't million dollar homes...cut that in half. Realistic, right? Not quite.

In reality, our price range tops off at $200,000. $300,000 is probably the cheapest you'll find in our ideal area. So this summer (if all goes well) we are to opt for a slightly less desirable, yet sufficient area to go house hunting. I have to let out a long sigh at this idea. In truth I reeeallllly want my own house so a part of me is ready to jump at the first place that is doable. But do I want to settle on an area that isn't my top desirable location? The area that we may move to isn't so bad but it definitely isn't on my list of top cities in Washington where I would choose to live.

I think location is everything and, so far, I am still unsure on this particular location. Things could change by June and maybe there'll be more available in other areas that I am fond of by then. On the other hand, maybe this won't be our summer to buy and we'll have to wait until next summer. And by then...who knows? Maybe we will be able to afford living in a more desirable location. We will see. I think it's just best to continue praying and putting our trust in God.

Until then...I am going to admire my 'dream' homes until reality sets in and the real dream of us getting to move actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment